There’s tons of reasons to love salads, from the benefits to nice colours and of course the great flavours. The one item that always brings that extra touch to your salad is the dressing and there’s endless ways to create them. Dressing are great because it can take a plain salad to the next level to make it a lot more enjoyable. They themselves bring in their own benefits because they’re made with nutrient rich ingredients.
Benefits of popular salad dressings ingredients include:
- Lemon/ Lime: filled with immune boosting properties while it helps cleans and detoxify
- Olive Oil: loaded anti-inflammatory ingredients that help your blood flow smoothly
- Garlic: helps you fight off colds and flus from it’s powerful antibacterial elements
- Apple Cider Vinegar: contributes to a healthy digestion while bringing a skin and hair glow
We’ve put together a list of 5 salad dressings that are promised to add a flavour boost to whatever greens you have in your bowl. Feel free to switch up the ingredients to something similar or even altering between fresh and dry herbs, depending on what you have around. They’re all super easy to make!
Bring an asian inspired taste to your greens with this dressing that hits tons of different flavour points in just one bite.
- 5 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp packed fresh cilantro
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp water
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor and mix well.
- Makes approximately 1 cup.
Switch up your typical dressing to this tangy mix of fresh dill and zesty mustard.
- 1/3 C cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/8 C fresh dill fronds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
If you want a really creamy dressing, use a blender to combine all the ingredients. You could also just whisk this together or shake everything up in a jar. If you aren’t using a blender, be sure to finely chop the fresh dill before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve the salad.
Basil meets creaminess with this oil free dressing that’s filled with healthy fats from avocados.
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
In a small glass jar, combine Dijon, salt, maple syrup, vinegar, and lemon juice. Finely chop garlic or grate with a microplane and add to the jar. Top with lid and shake well.
Add poppy seeds and olive oil, cover and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use. May keep up to three weeks if kept chilled.