Once summer kicks in, we’re always looking for new vegan snacks to satisfy our summer cravings, so we’ve rounded up these delicious and easy recipes from some of our favourite plant-based Canadian enthusiasts. Get ready to indulge in the deliciousness of natural ingredients that will leave your body feeling nourished and loved this summer!
This pea-camole is a great way to get your greens in without even realizing you’re eating them! Dip it with some carrots or other veggies for a crunch with benefits.
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- Set a pot of water to boil and cook the peas until they are easily mashed with a fork. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, broil the poblano pepper until blistered, flipping over once. Remove the pepper to a plastic bag and seal – this will release steam and help loosen the skin from the pepper.
- Peel the avocado and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until it is the consistency you desire. Halve the lime and squeeze out the juice over the avocado. Mash the peas and add them to the avocado.
- Remove the blackened skin from the pepper, remove the seeds, and dice. Add the pepper, tomato, and garlic to the bowl. Add salt to taste and serve.
This faux-nutella is perfect for spreading, dipping, mixing or even eating with a spoon right from the container. Get your sweets and chocolate craving satisfied without tons of sugar!
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup raw cacao
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Roast your hazelnuts for approximately 7-8 minutes making sure to shake them mid roast.
- Let nuts completely cool. If you want to make your spread extra smooth you can remove the shells at this time…I leave mine on.
- In a food processor, process the hazelnuts for approximately 10 minutes, until smooth butter forms.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
- Keeps in air tight container in the fridge for at least 1 week.
Packed with flavour and vitamins, this snack is perfect for when you’re craving something salty and crunchy! Ditch deep fried and enjoy this baked kale goodness.
(per baking sheet)
- 1/2 bunch kale leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove leaves from the stems of the kale and roughly tear it up into large pieces. Compost the stems (or freeze for smoothies). Wash and spin the leaves until thoroughly dry.
- Add kale leaves into a large bowl. Massage in the oil until all the nooks and crannies are coated in oil. Now sprinkle on the spices/seasonings and toss to combine.
- Spread out the kale onto the prepared baking sheet into a single layer, being sure not to overcrowd the kale.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 12-15 minutes more until the kale begins to firm up. The kale will look shrunken, but this is normal. I bake for 25 mins. total in my oven.
- Cool the kale on the sheet for 3 minutes before digging in! This really makes all the difference! Enjoy immediately as they lose their crispiness with time.
- Repeat this process for the other half of the bunch.
Lovers Chia Pudding Parfait by Jillian Harris
This deliciously filling delight is a great snack option if you’re in the mood for desert. So, treat yo self or spread the healthy snack love and make a few!
- 2 1/2 cups plant-based milk of choice (I love coconut!)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
Pink “Soft Serve”:
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups sliced frozen bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
For the Parfait:
- 2 small jars
- Sliced bananas, for layering
- Frozen raspberries
- Fresh flowers (optional – for the photo of course!)
Make the pudding:
- In a container, whisk together all chia pudding ingredients. Cover and chill overnight or for at least 3 hours until thick.
Make the soft serve:
- In the bowl of a large food processor, combine bananas, strawberries, vanilla, and sea salt. Blend until thick and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed.
Assemble your parfait:
- Start by adding your sliced bananas (if you have a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut your bananas into small hearts). Press the bananas firmly against the side of the jar in an upwards motion.
- Fill each jar about halfway with the chia pudding.
- Layer in your soft serve until it spills over the top.
- Add your raspberries and flowers and serve.
- Enjoy with someone you LOVE!!!!